Monday, November 06, 2006

The best book I've read all year.

Yes, that's high praise. I've read some good books lately. But nothing like this.

I couldn't put it down. I went to bed late...then I was nearly in tears over my morning coffee...and again over my lunch.

It's about a 13-year-old Nepalese girl, Lakshmi, who lives in the mountains, but is sold into prostitution by her step-father. It's written in short, poetic vignettes. And, well...let me just say that I don't know when the last time it was that I read something so heartbreakingly powerful. It is full of beauty in ways that I cannot explain.

I would write more about it...but I want you to read it instead.

*********
Read an excerpt here.
Read the book jacket summary here.
Buy it here.

9 comments:

Jessie said...

melba, it is extremely sad...incredibly sad...but it also ends on a note of hope. i think it is the stark reality of it that, in many ways, is what lets Lakshmi's and the other girls' beauty shine through so intensely. it's a book best read with a completely open heart. wow, i love that book.

and another good documentary is Born Into Brothels. the book and the film would pair well together. really, i hope you'll take the time to learn about these kids. their strength will change you.

paris parfait said...

Coming from you, that's high praise indeed! I have ordered the book.

Anonymous said...

i'm definitely going to have to check it out. thanks for the tip!

Kristine said...

Wow!
I wish i'd had time to read this about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I just finished a final paper about women being sent as workers to various parts of the world as sex workers, domestics or sweatshop laborers...

gkgirl said...

wow.
i just read the excerpt
and i am adding it to my
"list" right now.

thanks for putting it out there.

kj said...

oh jesus, jessie. i read the excerpt too and i will never forget it. i will buy and read this book but i wish it were not so.

you're great, jessie...

:)

sophie said...

i will get his book and i own
Born into Brothels - loved it:)

Colorsonmymind said...

I loved the exerpt. I will see if the library has it.

I am just starting Tenth circle by Jodi Picoult.

I am waiting for Water for elephants from the library.

Love hearing about good books.

Anonymous said...

i'm going to read the excerpt right now...tease ;)