Thursday, March 30, 2006

grEy day

There are different qualities of grey/gray. There is grEy and there is grAy. Today is a grEy day--and it feels good that way. I wanted to take a picture of it this morning, just the sky, nothing else, but I was too lazy. That is part of the difference between grEy and grAy. If it had been a grAy day, I would have had the energy to grab my camera on the way out the door (it was sitting right there), go outside, and point it up at the sky. And then I would have proof of this perfectly monotone sky.

I like grEy days because they're quiet. And everyone else is quiet too. I am more calm on grEy days, less rushed, more introverted. GrEy isn't tired, it's not quite sleepy, rather, it's simply comfortable, like sweatpants, but better held together. GrEy is, however, more thin-skinned than grAy. GrEy leaves me feeling more sensitive to the subtle differences in things. GrEy is soft on the edges and deeper in color. It's not as exciteable, loud, and whitewashed as grAy days and definately not sharp-edged and washed out like it is on yellow days. You can do things with grAy, but grEy is what it is. Maybe that's why I like it. It is what it is.

1 comment:

Amber said...

My favorite part of this grEy day is the lake. Because in contrast with the grEy of the sky, the lake, with its thin layer of ice, is an ethereal shade of turquoise.