Tuesday, January 29, 2008

New Post

I've decided to invite the sacred back into my life by lighting a stick of sunrise incense every morning. It amazes me how such a simple action can open up such a wonderfully vast space of intention and breath within me--and I like starting my day in this way. Perhaps part of this pleasure comes from the fact that the incense's name, "sunrise," reminds me of the time I spent studying yoga in an ashram in India. It was a very quiet and introspective time for me. It was also a time of significant growth. We woke early to the clear sound of a bell ringing through the dark morning air. Wrapped in woolen shawls, we met in the temple where, for two hours, we concentrated on our breath and movements. Meanwhile, the sun rose over the Ganges River and, when we returned to the world outside, we were greeted, every day, with the soft pinks and oranges of another Indian day. That time of my life is infused with the scent of incense--and if you've ever been to India, then you probably know what I mean.

Traveling through India was a very important and sacred time in my life. Now, ten years later, I sense myself entering yet another sacred time. Lighting a stick of incense and, this morning, even a candle, is my way of honoring this time and welcoming the change that it is sure to bring.

I notice that, when I don't post on a regular basis, I have a hard time knowing where to begin. Maybe I need to get back to posting here every day, but lately I have been so busy painting and working on websites that there just hasn't been time. Sometimes I wish I could just hook my brain up to this thing so that Blogger could catch my thoughts as they come and, in this way, I could share them with you.

When I started blogging, I did it simply to write. Blogging was a new and exciting space because it was so anonymous and public all at the same time. These days, however, I find myself wanting to blog for two reasons. Reason One: to untangle my thoughts (writing in a public space has a way of helping me to clarify myself--if even for my own sake) and Reason Two: to share my thoughts and stay current with you, my friends and fellow bloggers. I like the transformation that blogging has taken for me. But I often find it difficult to know where to begin.

And so, to keep this post from stretching into infinity, here are some random tidbits about where I'm at, in this moment, today:
  • I'm going to spend several hours this morning painting. I'm currently working simultaneously on two dog portraits ("Louis" and "Russel"). My goal is to have both of them completed and another one ("Chester") started by January 31st. This will require a great amount of focus--which I (amazingly) feel very capable of. I am looking forward to posting images of my paintings as I complete them. Hopefully I'll have the first two up in the next couple of days. I have to admit that, as I paint, I get very excited to show you what I'm working on! :)
  • I'm meeting a friend for coffee and conversation this afternoon. Perfect timing to take a break, get refreshed and be inspired by good company. Afterwards I'll come back home and (yes, you guessed it) paint!
  • My husband is on a business trip this week and, although I love him and miss him, it feels absolutely incredible to have this time to myself. I feel like I'm on a creative retreat and I didn't even have to leave home! I'm using this time to really saturate myself in my current painting projects. These three days feel, oddly, like a gift. Last night I stayed up until 1am working on one of the paintings. That is, I painted until Louis (my dog) demanded that I come to bed. I slept well.
  • I bought a very beautiful card for my aunt. It is blank inside. I'm going to sit down and write her a letter so that she knows that I love her, that I'm thinking about her, and that I'll do anything for her. The card is still sitting in the cellophane packaging because I don't know how, exactly, to say the things I want to say. I have a heavy heart because I know that time is, truly, of the essence. I'm deeply afraid of missing my chance to say these things. And this is one of the reasons the card is so hard to write.
  • Last night was our second "telephone conference" for Circe's Circle. I cannot even tell you how incredible this experience has already been. I feel so incredibly inspired and supported by these lovely women. And it absolutely floors me just how perfect the timing has been for this. I can't help but think that, this time around, the Universe has truly conspired to help me out. Either that, or I finally started taking the necessary actions needed to help myself. Actually, I believe that it is an even combination of the two.
  • I'm reading Organizing for the Spirit, by Sunny Schlenger (from Leah's book list) and am loving it. This book really deserves a post of its own.
  • Vinny and I have been getting random web design inquiries all week. Hurray! :) These sorts of things add a needed sense of belief in ourselves, our goals, our dreams!
  • These days, I feel very much as though I am working from my center. Last night I did a creative exercize over the phone for Circe's Circle, led by Jamie. In the end we were asked to write down words and then branch those words out into other words. I wrote words such as: beautiful unknown. mystery, artful, love, special desire, freedom, happiness, breath, sky, loving, free, heart, meaningful. And, yes, I truly feel as though these words are a reflection of where I'm at right now. It is an amazing feeling.
  • Gotta go. It's time to paint! ;)
ps.
Patry Franci's, The Liar's Diary has been released in paperback today. Have you gotten a copy of it yet? If not then GO! RUN! Go get it now! :) You can read about The Liar's Diary Blog Day here. Congratulations and best wishes, Patry!! :)

12 comments:

Leah said...

it sounds like you are in a wonderful, wonderful place right now. and i'm so happy for you!!! xoxox

Deirdre said...

This post was a calming, inspiring read. I needed that shot of positive thought today. Thank you. xoxo

Unknown said...

All of this sounds so refreshing. I understand the idea of not knowing where to begin when sharing what you have been up to. I am in a similar process. In fact, I am writing you an email right now...

Jamie said...

How wonderful, Jessie! It's beautiful to see all this good, good, yummy energy coming your way. You are such a bright spirit that I know you will keep attracting and sending out this wonderful energy.

It is a joy to share the circle with you.

hugs,
Jamie

Sharon said...

I can't wait to see the paintings!
I understand about the time alone. We love our husbands, but sometimes it's nice to have time alone to do what we want when we want.

Ruby Bigonia said...

your blog radiates such wonderful energy! thank you! i find myself drawn to very sensual, ritualistic acts lately as the days of winter nesting pass. lighting incense, candles, meditation, soft music - all are very sensual practices that force me to slow, stop and look inward. it is also exciting to wonder about these creations you speak of...paint on!

Amber said...

I would love to know the story about how you decided to go to India.That is so interesting! Not something most people do.I would love to hear more. ;)

I love incense. I burn it, too. And there is this store I go into when Wyatt in taekwondo, and this beautiful Indian woman owns it, and she always burns incense.

I can't wait to see your paintings!

ox :)

Anonymous said...

I've had such a crappy morning, thus far.. oh, but then.. I came here. You sound so calm and centered - and happy - and it radiates through your words. I feel so good just reading what you're up to. Enjoy your little retreat at home. xo

The Dream said...

You're so awesome - can't wait to see the pet portraits - YAY!!!
As usual, you have much you're doing - and it's totally working for you! You're my hero!

Melanie Margaret said...

One day I will go to India. Yes I have made up my mind. But not now.

I know you will accomplish tons this week.

You are in a very good space.

Thank you for being on this journey with me!
XO,
Melba

nonizamboni said...

Thanks for sharing how you have been starting your day. After reading your post I felt energized and at peace myself, all at the same time.
I've noted your blog on mine, hopefully with your unspoken permission. You are a blessing.
http://nonizamboniblue.blogspot.com/2008/01/cant-outgive-giver.html

Anonymous said...

oh you are LIVING it!!!!!

so utterly fabulous and I am so grateful that you took the time to share it with us---

Bisous, Bluepoppy