Monday, June 19, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: Bed... (with a view).

I've been putting off the Sunday Scribblings prompts too often lately (this week's promt is "Bed"). I can never be sure of the true workings of my own mind, but I've come to the conclusion that it is either: A) because I haven't been in the right state of mind to write on the topic given and therefore write a bunch of crap that I later wish I hadn't posted; or B) I am sometimes blown away by the small treasures of writing that are written by others--which leaves me feeling intimidated and lacking confidence in my own writing abilities. Ugh. I'm getting sick of both feelings, but mostly the second one.

However, last night while sitting outside at 2 in the morning I found what felt like were the perfect words along the perfect mindset to write . Maybe I was tired or maybe it was the way the street light in the alley illuminated the feather tree (as though lit from within)--but something strangely wonderful happened as I sat there and observed the way that I was able to discern every sight and sound as a seperate and isolated sensation. There was a breeze blowing through the leaves causing the softest sound--one that can only be heard when the leaves are in their most perfect state of pliable. Each and every shift and movement of the night was distinct from the next. While wolfie dreamt sweet huffing dreams at my feet, I felt contained in a momentary bubble of magic. Unfortunately, by the time I made it to my computer to write it all down, exhaustion set in and sent it all slipping away like water under my feet. I gave into the sensation and crawled into bed, paying particular attention to its deliciousness on my skin.

This morning, after taking Anu for a walk, I putzed around our tiny little yard while she ate. Ever since Abe died, she loves to have company when she eats. I rigged up the hammock--one end to the feather tree and the other end (precariously) to the dog kennel. It smelled like Montana: of woodsmoke and sage. If a hammock can be considered a bed, then this is my new room and its view. Funny how, even in the daylight, this particular tree still holds such an infinate capacity for magic.

15 comments:

meghan said...

that was really beautiful! Please please keep on doing Sunday Scribblings - I love reading about your take on things!

GreenishLady said...

A feather tree! How wonderful! I'd no idea that was what they were called, but it suits so well. Beautiful. And I can so relate to feeling inadequate after seeing the gems on Sunday Scribbling, which is why I read none until I've written and posted my piece. Then I start reading, and kick myself for not having had THAT great idea, and not using THAT angle, or not remembering THAT time... but I don't think anyone else got a hammock into their post this time! Lovely!

Jessie said...

Greenishlady, it's not really a feather tree. I made that name up for it because I don't know what it really is. Does anyone out there know? If not, that's ok--I like thinking of it as a feather tree.
;)

paris parfait said...

Love the idea of a feather tree - best of all, your room with a view! Great description of 2 a.m. and those intense sensations. Well done!

Annie Jeffries said...

What a lovely, nested bed. Rock-a-bye.

Belle said...

Stopped by to have a good read.

wasn't disappointed.

Nice vacation post and pictures.

Later....

Deirdre said...

This is really lovely. You captured the moments and feelings beautifully. On a side note - I don't let myself read any other posts until I've posted my own. It's just easier for me that way.

Deirdre said...

I'm not sure, but the tree looks like a mimosa, also called a silk tree. Does it get fluffy pink flowers? And seed pods that rattle in the wind? I hope you find out and let me know.

Jessie said...

deirdre--nope, no fluffy pink flowers or seed pods. Whatever it is, it's a type of tree that can survive northern minnesota winters. Maybe I should dust off that tree book I have on the shelf and find out. :)- oh, the many forms of laziness. I will let you know when I solve the mystery though!

Jamie said...

Beautiful! Thank you for bringing me right into your yard. I needed a breath of that air today.

Anonymous said...

Hee! I loved the way you described that perfect bit of inspiration that somehow escaped you when you tried to pin it down!

The whole post felt like lying on the grass staring up into the tree branches during the summer. Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I love that you were so honest about feeling intimitated about other SS postings. So many talented writers!! It's awesome to read their posts! Which is why I write mine first and then read the other post. LOL!

Endment said...

Great use of words! I love your magic tree bed :)

Amber said...

My favorite biology major thought the tree looked like a black walnut. But he's not sure. Maybe we'll be by later to stalk your tree, see if we can tell. Don't call the cops.

Jessie said...

Amber, if you stalk my tree then knock on the door while your at it. :)