Saturday, April 15, 2006

Sucker for packaging...

Tonight we went grocery shopping. Just as we were about to check out, V. remembered that he wanted BBQ sauce. Of course, this meant that we had to go all the way back to the other end of the grocery store which led us past the natural foods section (a very dangerous part of the store for me, financially speaking).

We put the BBQ sauce in the cart, walked past pickles and juice and preserves...when, to the left, my attention was drawn to this beautiful chocolate bar.

Um--I don't even like chocolate that much. But how--how I ask-- could I pass up something of such beauty? I felt my hand reach out, grab it, and then start pulling me toward the cart. I could not resist the urge to buy it--even when I saw V.'s look of: what are you doing??? how much does that thing cost??

I immediately started bumbling something like: "I can't help it...look how pretty it issss. It's premium organic. Isn't it cool? I mean, wow, look at those colors. And, look, it says THE ART OF CHOCOLATE. I want to paint it."

yeah, ok...so I'm a sucker for packaging. But, come on...can you blame me???

7 comments:

Kristine said...

Yeah, I'm a sucker for packaging too. I started using Philosophy products because of the words written on the package. Fortunately it is a good set of products yet the packaging alone had me sold on them!

Loralee Choate said...

I am a marketing whore as well. Sad, really.

eliza said...

you're a marketer's dream. but that is one fine-lookin' chocolate bar.

new to your blog, referred through sunday scribblings. loved the toni morrison post, though what i especially loved was your description of coming back into the passionate embrace of words. that happens periodically with me and music. you captured the sensation so well i think i'll go see about stirring those coals...

Cate said...

There are so many things that I have purchased (but haven't really needed or even liked) based on the packaging. I hear ya, sister.

That package reminds me of something Van Gogh might create, if he worked in marketing.

Leah said...

nope can't blame you one bit. i love cool/funky/interesting packages

Elizabeth Krecker said...

If a marketing team (the account manager, the artist, the writer, the printer - everyone) demonstrates cleverness, creativity and originality, then most likely the company that hired them produced a product that shares these same qualities -or so I justify my weakness for great packaging!

Joy Eliz said...

Oh what a relief!!! I buy 'beauty' all the time. But here's what I think...
1. you deserve a luxurious candy bar.

2.its organic...that candy bar could save your life:)

3.the universe is mysterious and there is a specific reason (unknown at the moment) that you have to have that candy bar... it's fate!

Only good things can come of this;)