Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I can't help myself...


I need another book like I need a hole in the head, but I'm going to order this one. I didn't even know that Gabriel Garcia Marquez had written another book until Erin told me so ...and it is true. The first book I ever read by him was Of Love and Other Demons; the first short story was "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings." I'm going to name my first born son after him--Gabriel. Gabriel Carmine Marianiello, to be exact. And, who knows, he might even grow up to be a writer. Or maybe a magician. I don't care. All I know is that
I am in love with Marquez.

7 comments:

nrlaumei said...

Oh, I want to read that book just for the title. Maybe that will have to be my second book for the trip.

nrlaumei said...

Funny, if I ever have a daughter I want to name her Madeleine, after Madeleine L'Engle. Our kids are going to be very nerdy (I mean literary).

tara dawn said...

Never read him...I must start soon. And I certainly don't need any more books, especially when all the ones I already have are still packed in boxes. But whatever...I just might order it anyways. Or do you recommend I order one of his earlier ones?
Hope you are well....finals are kicking my butt.
Miss and love ya,
TD

Jessie said...

Tasha, our kids wouldn't be nerds. They'de be the coolest kids on the block (that is, if we still live in the same neighborhood together :)-).

Tara, I have no idea if his first one is good because I haven't read it yet. But Of Love and Demons and One Hundred Years of Solitude are both excellent. They are wonderfully strange. I'm so sorry that you had to move and do finals at the same time. That's a lot of stress. Just think how good you will feel when your done and able to start unpacking those boxes...and even better, when your able to sit back and enjoy your new place with a good book! I'm thinking of you and will send an e-mail soon. :)

v said...

If you get to name the first son after Marquez then I get to name the girl Edgar.

Then we'll see who turns out to be a nerd.

Jessie said...

Nope, if it's a girl we'll name her Gabriella.

We'll save Edgar for our next cat. :)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I finished that book recently. It's a good read. I love Chronicle of a Death Foretold and the short story "Eyes of a Blue Dog." Ever read them?