Monday, April 03, 2006

A Room of One's Own

Yesterday I started cleaning and rearranging my studio space. I finally worked up enough nerve to ask my studio-mate of 2 1/2 years to move out. It was nothing personal--just that she has not paid in almost a year and a half and hasn't even stepped foot in there to do artwork in more than a year. Needless to say, I'm glad she was cool about my request. And now--now I have SPACE! It is downright lovely.

Even though I should have been preparing for a presentation, I couldn't help but dig in right away. The place needed some love.

I swept, I dusted, I rearranged. I stacked canvases and books and stretcher bars. I drank coffee. I moved stuff. Then I moved it again. I listened to really good Middle Eastern music. I ate a little bar of chocolate and painted the frame of a large corkboard orange. I turned the drafting table into a desk and put the corkboard behind it (where it awaits inspiring images of India and beyond) . And, after all of this, I still have an empty corner for a chair when I just want to read or think. Oh, sweet SPACE!

There's still a few finishing touches that need my attention--like the clutter and dust under my workbench and the search of some really cool fabric for curtains. But I'll have to save that for the weekend. Details, schmeetails... What matters is that now-- now I have a writing space--my very own, private space to think and create and let words find their way to paper--without interruption.

Yesterday I stood there in the middle of my mess and realized that, for the first time, art and writing are receiving equal amounts of attention in my life. I took another sip of coffee and reveled in the feeling of this new-found balance. I've waited a long time.

11 comments:

Endment said...

What a rewarding experience!

Enjoy reveling in your new found balance.

Anonymous said...

hello hello hello

I loved the blue dog site-- but I will travel here if you prefer--- I will follow--- I was amazed at the list you wrote of all that has changed for you doing AW--- and AM SO GLAD you have renewed faith in your writing because I think it is wonderful!

~bluepoppy

gkgirl said...

yay for more space..
yay for balance!

oh
and yay
for orange...
which seems to be
my new favoritist color
:)

Kristine said...

That's so cool that you finally have space to do what you love!

Loralee Choate said...

LOVELY! I wish I had the talent to create art...the tangible, painted kind.

The whole process just sounds divine. Cleaning, organizing and making it homey.

I am almost inspired enough by this to do some spring cleaning...

Melly Testa said...

awesome!! I just created a space specifically for painting in my journals (see my blog-although it is down for repair, right now[supposed to be back up tonight]). I feel so rich having a space that doesn't need to be cleaned and cleared every time I want to sew!

Belle said...

Hi, Jessie.
Good for you!

I can identify with the canvas stacking , moving strecher bars , books, magazines, eating the choclate bar and listening to good music while rearranging. It is so nice to have a space of your own.

tara dawn said...

Yay, yay, yay! I am so excited for you. You know my feelings about creative space...and now you are inspiring me even more. Thanks!
xoxo

erin said...

yaya! and not just for space, but also for getting some closure on the studio issue!

Jana B said...

Reading about your creative space makes me want to go home and try to find someplace to make into a stuido!

Laini Taylor said...

Jessie, Jim and I recently reorganized our studio and it was so inspiring and wonderful for us both to declutter -- it was like moving into a new house. All we wanted to do was bask and create! Congrats. Hope you're filled with new energy!