Tuesday, January 27, 2009

SACRED--6 little letters to live with intention

Today I am going to live the word sacred.

I must admit, I totally get a kick out of the way my "sacred apron" spoke to so many wonderfully creative women who listened to my interview with Jamie. You know how there's some things you just do? Those things that, although you know they are significant, you simply do it without a whole lot of thought? Well, that's how it is with the sacred apron. I just do it. I put it on and, in doing so, I draw a line between busywork and creative work. Putting on my apron means that it is time to focus on the creative task at hand...and the best part is that it works every time.

Today my sacred apron is going to be worn well. It has a big day in front of it as I finish up several large commissions. Along with my apron, I am going to wear moccasins. I found them last night tucked in between two boxes on a shelf in my basement studio. They are comfortable elk hide moccasins that I always used to wear in my old studio up north. How could I have forgotten them? Well, no matter. I was happy to find them last night. They make me feel grounded. When I'm wearing them I feel connected to my life and the ground beneath me. Moccasins have a funny way of doing that.

Today feels good. My work, my life, my endeavors...they feel sacred. The sun is shining and the dogs are giving each other kisses. Today I am finishing projects that, in doing so, will make room for what's next. I will drink tea from my sacred cup. I will breathe and eat well and enjoy the tasks at hand. Today I will live with sacred intention. After all, sacredness surrounds us.

My "sacred apron" is old and paint stained. It wears the marks of hundreds of paintings. It is spotted in almost every color I have ever mixed. I made it myself from scraps of fabric and cord. Over time, my apron has become "mixed media." I wear my apron and my apron wears my creativity. Sometimes, I forget that it's on. It's a part of me...a part that I love the look and feel of--even if it is grungy and worn. Or maybe I love it because it IS grungy and worn. Sacred lives best in those every day things. Don't you think?


What little actions will you perform to bring a sense of sacredness to your endeavors?

These letters are part of an ongoing project:
"WORD OF THE DAY :: living life one word at a time."
Today's word is SACRED. Live with sacred intention.
See more letters and words at my Patch of Sky Etsy shop, here.

~

4 comments:

Rowena said...

It's odd, but I love when my hands are covered in paint. I think it's beautiful. I think it's sacred. My kids are always distressed when they see the paint on my hands, but it makes me feel.... IN IT. I don't know if that makes sense.

I want an apron like yours. With the years and layers of paint included. I guess I'll just have to get my own.

Anonymous said...

I do not paint, but I do create goody bags for ill children. I am always surrounded on my floor by gift bags, gift items, ribbon and card stock and I simply LOVE it!

Have A Blessed Day!

Melanie Margaret said...

jessie I am wishing you a beautiful day today.
XO,
melba

Samosas for One said...

Making chai from scratch; cooking Indian food from fresh vegetables