Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A slow start...

This morning I stiffly drifted in and out of sleep until 10:30. When I finally got up I grabbed a cap to hide my crazy head of hair and went to sit outside in the yard with wolfie. It rained last night and all day yesterday giving the neglected perennials that circle the back yard a second chance. Everything is bright green, purple, orange, more green, and yellow. But the best part about today is cooler weather. After surviving the heat-wave, 75 degrees feels a lot like heaven. I can only hope that it stays this cool for awhile. Needless to say, I've already caught myself (all too often) dreaming of fall weather because, to be honest, I can't wait for days that require me to wear a sweater and light candles for an illusion of warmth. I'm looking forward to seeing the ivy that covers our house and windows turn to red and orange and taking long, cool walks in the woods across the street.

Over the past few days I've managed to get the living room, dining room, and kitchen nearly set up (or at least in working order). My favorite time of day has been in the morning when I make my first cup of coffee (and today, one for Vinny too). My other favorite time is late at night, when it cools off (even just a little) enough to take Anu for a walk. I've been busy (and deliriously tired) during the day--unpacking, running errands, doing whatever needs to be done--but at night, I let my world slow down; at night I let myself explore the magic that surrounds me--and I'm beginning to think that there will never be an end to my discoveries.

As for today, I feel like slowing it down a notch (or three). I'll take a long walk and then start digging into this pile I call my office...but for now: nothing. The rest will come avalanching soon enough.

8 comments:

Kristine said...

Great pictures. While I know you are exhausted I am sure there must be some relief in simply getting the move over with! Take it easy today. You can only go as fast as you body allows you so maybe you should listen to your body and be nice to yourself.

kj said...

jessie, following your photo-journey is a joy. congratulations on your move. the dock you left is beautiful--sounds like there will now be some city lights for you?

i enjoy your blog alot. i like your energy and observation of simple pleasures. i think i have that too, for which i'm very grateful

Elizabeth Krecker said...

Ah, endless days exploring new places. Green wet places. It all sounds so lovely and cool and thoughtful.

Jessie, I love when you visit my blog and really enjoy your sense of place

I remember moving to Maine after art school. Endless days exploring wild rocky beaches and misty forests and ivy covered cottages.

Your post brings me back to that time.

paris parfait said...

It sounds like you've accomplished quite a lot in a short time! Good for you; am glad you're enjoying settling in. As for fall, I'm waiting for it too. Cooler weather definitely a welcome change!

bee said...

i've missed your writing, too, jessie.

i love your photographs - they are so multi-faceted, one time showing me a perspective that i wouldn't have thought of, the other showing me something familiar but from a refreshed angle - they're always so beautiful.

your words are the perfect accompaniment.

i'm glad the moving in is going the way you want it to. this is my favourite stage, actually, the slow unpacking, the making of a home. enjoy.

kerry said...

this post is so calming... i love your way of describing how you carve out those times for yourself. it makes me want to do the same... explore the surroudning magic.

Colorsonmymind said...

I would love to share a cup of joe with you!

I could also use a 75 degree day and a late wake up

gkgirl said...

i can hear the calmness
coming from your words...
it is good to hear
:)
and hope your lower temperatures
stay!