Saturday, November 27, 2004

Woke up early this morning...

with my dog licking me in the face telling me to either get up or move over so he could crawl in bed too. My sleeping husband was taking up the bed though so I decided to get up. Which led me outside. Today's the day... the first morning with real snow on the ground. It sounds like popcorn under my feet. The rest of the world is in white silence except for happy dogs and hungry cats. As I look out the window, the huge silver orb of moon slips behind morning clouds-- pink and lavender. Too bad Gauguin never painted winter skies. Or maybe it is impossible to capture the beauty anyway.

I remember standing in front of a painting of his in the Minneapolis Museum of Art. I fell in love with the blue dog. Later that day I stood in front of a Georgia O'Keefe painting. I saw flaws-- where bare white canvas shown through. It felt good to know that these masters of painting were real people-- human. It was those imperfections that made me love those paintings even more.

Today I didn't get out of bed until I knew what I was going to write about. Today I am going to write about growing and cooking. The rest will come when it's ready. Later on I might take a walk in the woods, eat snow, and drink hot chocolate. My blue dogs need some love. I'm going to write this paper and not let it get the best of me. I might even let some of the white show through.

No comments: