Saturday, August 23, 2008

Stray Dog Arts 2008 Fundraising Promotion!

Re-posted from my Stray Dog Arts blog:

It was Monday, July 21st when I first heard the story of a dog that has since changed my life. Her name is Ode (pronounced O-Day), meaning "heart" in Ojibway. Ode, just a puppy, was found with both her ears intentionally burned off. She was the victim of unimaginable torture--but I am happy to say that she has been given an incredible second chance. Little did I know how deeply her story would affect me and how swiftly she would alter my life and work.

In early August I met Ode for a photo shoot in preparation for a portrait that I would eventually paint of her for a silent auction to help raise money for other animals in need. The day I met Ode was the day that I stepped over a threshold--and, when it happened, I knew that there would be no turning back.

As an artist and animal lover it is important that my work hold meaning. To live a purposeful and satisfying life takes great amounts of bravery. For me, that act of bravery was in taking the leap towards becoming a full time pet portrait artist. Recently, through Ode, that leap has grown to include a commitment to helping abused and abandoned animals. Over and over again, through painting, I am graced with opportunities that allow me to experience the deepest imaginable love. Pure. Egoless. Unconditional.

In honor of Ode, I will be donating 20% of all commissioned portraits and a substantial portion of greeting card sales to animal rescue efforts until December 31st, 2008.

By commissioning a portrait of the pets who have changed your life, you will be helping the lives of many more animals in need. A 50% nonrefundable deposit is required for all commissioned work and must be received no later than December 31st, 2008 in order to be included in this fundraising promotion. Your deposit will hold your place on the waiting list.

The Commission Process:

  1. Contact me.
  2. Send me photos preferably as email attachments. Snail mail is acceptable, but please no originals, since photos will not be returned.
  3. If possible and/or necessary, scheduling a photo shoot is an option if you live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Travel and transportation per diem required outside 20 mile radius of Minneapolis, MN. When possible, I truly enjoy the opportunity to meet the dogs I paint.
  4. 50% nonrefundable deposit due. If definite size and/or dimensions have not yet been decided on, approximate payment must still be made to hold your place on the waiting list. Your place will not be held until deposit is made. If a photo shoot is scheduled, your deposit will be due at that time.
  5. Sign a Fine Arts Commission Contract once details have been decided on (two copies--one for each of us) .
  6. I will begin your painting as soon as possible. I currently have a small window of time open in November/December (2008) and will be booked again until late spring/early summer (2009).
  7. Remaining amount of commission due once the painting is completed. Full payment (+ shipping, if applicable) required before delivery.
  8. Hang your new painting on the wall for you and your pet to enjoy!
  9. Then feel good about the fact that a large portion of your commissioned pet portrait went to a very good cause. The rescued animals thank you. As do I!

Note: It is not necessary to decide on the exact dimensions of the painting since it is often best to let the photo do some of the deciding. However, if you know an approximate size or price range that you would like to stay within, I am happy to work with you to come up with something that fits your wallet, your walls, AND your pet!

Can't decide if it's worth it? Watch this video. Ode, my inspiration. (p.s That's Ella (formally Eve), my newly adopted babe--the black pup in the video with Ode, her best friend.)



Video and photography by Marilou Chanrasmi.
Proceeds of fundraising promotion will be donated to Pet Haven.
www.pethavenmn.org

Special thank you to Karen Good of Red Lake Rosie's Rescue
and to all the volunteers of Pet Haven Inc. of Minnesota.

May all animals be happy!



*promotion excludes Dogs of Linden Hills project participants .
(exhibition participants please contact me if you're interested in donating)*

~

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Thank you so much for sharing that video...the tears are still running down my cheeks...