Sunday, February 27, 2005

Jessie should just go to bed...

It's snowing outside. Big beautiful snow flakes. I'm beginning to feel like winter is almost over-- and it always makes me feel a little bit sad. It's probably a feeling that I don't share with many people. Winter is my favorite season. Call me crazy. I like being able to hibernate without feeling guilty about it. This is why I like rainy days too.

And other than this I have nothing to say. I just finished watching a ridiculous movie and my brain has gone flat.

Or maybe it was trying to write that thesis statement that did this to me. God, to have it all figured out before I even start writing. It is a foreign notion to me. Maybe that's why half the stuff I write is crap. But then again, writing is about the process of discovery. I don't like trying to have it all figured out before I begin. Ugh... I can't believe I asked my students to turn in a thesis also. Due tomorrow. It sounded good in pedagogical discussion, but... well, now I don't know. I hope I haven't done damage to any creative potential. My class and I... we need a break. We need to have some fun. The movie was good and I have a feeling their next papers will be too. But we need to shake things up a little. Writing thesis statements just doesn't seem like the right way to do it. I can think of 2 students that it will help. The rest? I don't know.

Even though it is late and winter... it feels like a rainy day right now. I want to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea. Instead it is time to go to bed. To bed so I can get up early and revive my class from their thesis statements.

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Thesis statements, that is.

No comments: