Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Seeking artistic vision (and not finding it)...

Today I decided to get serious about December's art show and spent the day in the studio. Finished gessoing the big canvas and added my first splash of color (literally)-- dripping rust and patina colors. But still no overriding "theme" has emerged. It shifts... along with my ever-shifting obsessions and perceptions. I seem to be lacking artistic vision.

For a moment I even considered doing portraits of literary figures important to my life this past year: Virginia Woolf, Edgar Allen Poe... you know, all the crazies that I could have fun figuring out how to express the many colors of their eccentricities. Uh, but then I realized that I was being truly morbid.

Back to the drawing board. Color. That's all I know... it's about color.

And rocks. Maybe rocks too. Fish? Horses? Trains? Emotion? Pure, meaningless abstract? Squares? Circles? Lines?

No comments: