Tuesday, October 23, 2007

zen and the art of decluttering:

Today I took the first step towards simplifying my life...and I'm starting in the closet. I bought some inexpensive boxes (in black) and magazine files (in wine/medallion). Next I'm going to go through every inch of my closet and am either going throw it, file it, or organize it. I have a serious mess starting to spill out of the confines of my little office closet and it's starting to seep into the rest of my life as well. In terms of clearing the mind, my closet is a good place to start. From there, I might very well take on the rest of my office as well. That's my goal, anyhow! And in the end, I'll award myself to some long awaited color (have you guessed that the boxes are a form of self-bribery as well?). These walls are white, white, white and have been getting on my nerves for too long. Since I'm renting, I can't paint...but I CAN get creative! I'll let you know what I come up with when I get there.

In the meantime...it's just me and the closet.

"Be Brave" tip o' the day: You gotta start somewhere!

~~~
ps.
Check out last week's office:

a la writing retreat!
;)









~

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooo...you're speaking my language here Jessie!
I love this post. With the fall weather, I always get a sense of nesting, and that means clearing away the clutter, and organizing a cozy new living space for the cold wintry months ahead.
Good luck with the attack on the closet.
*hint...being a renter myself, I have many times cut flowers or little shapes from dry-strippable wall paper and decorated my walls. They peel right off when the time comes!

Unknown said...

This is an urge I have felt for so time now. Today I am starting with my desk. I'll be clearing away clutter and filing away papers.
Here's to a simplified life!

Deirdre said...

There must be something in the air. I'm going through old files and getting rid of everything I don't need anymore. There's a lot of shredding going on here.

Happy organizing!

Endment said...

Say Jessie - how would you like to come and tackle my accumulation - I really need "decluttered"

Melanie Margaret said...

OMG - you are sooo cute!!!!

Loralee Choate said...

I love organizing when I have the right tools to do so.

tara dawn said...

I am SO proud of you...all your work on your thesis, your being brave each day and dedication to that endeavor, and all the other inspirations you are providing to the blogging world. I am have been feeling this same urge to de-clutter, organize, simplify! Now if only I can find the time...but you are right...must start somewhere. Also, I followed your link to the pen tablet...that is awesome. Tell me more about it if you get a chance sometime...I just might put it on a xmas wish list if I could figure out how to work it. Anyways, it's late but I wanted to let you know I'm here, I'm reading, and I am SO proud of you beautiful woman. I will send a real letter soon.
Love you,
td

Jamie said...

I totally love this picture of you! Cute, cute, cute!

And wtg with the decluttering! That's one of those things that can amazingly shift not only your space, but your mood, your energy and your life.

You're up to great stuff as always!

meghan said...

ha ha ha ha ha! I love it! "just me and the closet"

keep at it!

xo

Anonymous said...

Thumbtacking scarves or sarongs on the walls is a nice way to add color without making a mess.... or even paintings on stiff board that you can put up like posters.

Lots of easy fixes you can do without painting. ;^)