Friday, October 12, 2007

job search 101.

Now that I've returned from vacation...I've also returned to the job hunt. This is my act of bravery for the day. 3 hours of shuffling through websites and more website and a few want ads. This seems small, but it was the necessary step that I needed to take today because the whole process can seem endless and I sometimes become irrationally disappointed in myself that I'm not able to make something happen overnight. Then I remind myself that, however long it might take, I promise not to give up because, let's face it, big changes rarely happen instantaneously.

Now I'm going to do my second scary thing for the day and humble myself by asking you, dear readers, to offer up your advice. I feel stupid for not being genetically preprogrammed with this information, but...

How does one go about finding a job that is both fulfilling AND pays well??? A job that both satisfies the heart AND pays the bills??? These jobs are out there. But how do I find them? How do I narrow my search into something even remotely manageable?

I'm serious. I want to hear your suggestions--the real, down to earth sort of suggestions.

There. I've made myself look like a bumbling idiot. Now let's see what becomes of it...

Thank you.
;)

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh my, that's a tall order. I was lucky and literally fell into my perfect job...
If you are able, I'd go to one of those agencies who hunt FOR you, taking your skills, needs, and wants into consideration. May cost a bit up front, but the results would be much better.

Deirdre said...

I really believe in the power of making a list. List everything you want in a job, every little thing you can think of. Including salary. Be specific. Don't leave anything out, no matter how silly it might seem. I've seen it be a wish list that comes true so often. You might not get everything, but chances are you'll get most of it.

Jessie said...

thank you sharon and deirdre. these are good suggestions. and the list...yes, it's worked for me before. why wouldn't it work for me again? thanks for reminding me that it does work. ;)

Anonymous said...

I found a huge amount of good advice in the 2007 edition of What Color is Your Parachute? Networking is HUGE, so tell everyone you know that you are looking and some specifics about the type job you would find fulfilling. If you find the organization you would kill to work for, you may have to volunteer there at first in order to get your foot in the door and prove your worth. Just brain storming.
Through reading Bolles' book, I realized I could be ever so happy translating. I am 44 and it took the exercises in his book to bring that to my awareness.

kj said...

jessie, not to be self serving, but check out my blog on "CAREERS", because in its early stage it tells you you have to start with yourself.

i can email you some info on networking and informational interviewing. that will get you in the door where you want to be. let me know if you'd like this info.

you have much to offer.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you and I are looking for similar things... I have found myself looking at people around me who are doing what they love and investigating how they have made this happen in practical terms.

Christine said...

In my experience I would be looking for the job you can love and be passionate about and the money will follow.....I like deirdre's idea of making a list of everything you want and using that as your guide...Good luck in your search.
Christine

anita said...

Talk out loud, make lists.. think, but not so hard you make it difficult to breathe. some of this process will be an accident. your perfect job may be that because you make it that way. my perfect job ended up "doing what I felt was my service" at a company that altho felt short of other expectations, it allowed me to be me... you might fall short the first time. this is ok, the world is made up of small hops and laughs.