Monday, August 07, 2006

Monday Morning.

This morning I ironed clothes for V. to go job hunting in. I felt very domestic standing at the ironing board in my slippers...very pre-Rosie-the-Riveter, if you know what I mean. I'm not one for sticking to traditional gender roles, but as I performed my "wifely" duties I could see why some women are happy to do so. There is a certain kind of comfort in knowing what your role in life is--subservient or not. Then I started feeling sorry for poor Rosie because while she thought she was becoming a strong independent woman, in truth, she was just making bullets instead of ironing shirts--all in the name of the patriarch. We've come a long way since Rosie. Maybe I'm regressing, but I do enjoy ironing my husband's shirts. Maybe I'll be banned from the feminist movement for saying that, but luckily I'll be ironing my own suit too.

Having only 1 car between the two of us has, so far, been working out fine although we are now having to coordinate our job hunting excursions. My biggest fear is being late for an interview or my first day of work because I got lost on the bus-system. I hate to think that we might need another car, because I'm not so sure it's even in our budget. Fingers crossed for V. today--our finacial situation still has the potential to turn around (never-minding the advice that a Masters degree in English will get you little more than secretarial work).

In other news, I'm finding that we've moved to a rather wild neighborhood. We now have raccoon visitors on a daily basis. So far, I've figured out that there is at least 1 mama and her teenage baby. So much for my expectations of urban living!
This morning, the teenager is in the tree...
...where wolfie waits (im)patiently below...
...while the fat old cat, Moonshadow, oblivious to everything, sleeps soundly inside...
...and meanwhile, I continue to unpack boxes, iron clothes, and work on my resume.

Last night I dreamed that I got a job in a little garden shop and learned metal-works on the side. In all honesty, I'm not looking for a job that I need a suit for (even though it is ironed). I'm dedicating this year to creative inspiration--suit, or not.

Anyway, according to my fortune cookie a couple days ago...

..let's hope.

9 comments:

paris parfait said...

I don't really like ironing my husband's shirts, but I do it and I feel a sense of accomplishment when it's done. I do like ironing pillowcases and linen napkins - easy things that don't require too much attention, so you can listen to music and think about other things at the same time. Watch out for those raccoons! They can cause a real mess in your yard. Best of luck to both you and Vinny in the job-hunt. Everything else has fallen into place - this is next! :)

Anonymous said...

i'm not big on ironing...i usually throw my stuff in the dryer and hope for the best (ha). keeping my fingers crossed for you and Vinny re: the job hunt!

kerry said...

i hope you find the creative inspiration you are seeking! this post was entertaining!

Andrew McAllister said...

I find hope to be one of the most powerful of human emotions. If you have some, everything can seem okay, even the inevitable problems. Without it, a "why bother with anything" attitude can creep in. And to start a piece about hope with ironing shirts ... now THAT'S talent.

To Love, Honor and Dismay

kj said...

jessie, a while back on my blog i offered career advice to the extent i am able to help. (i am a career and self employment counselor among a few other hats).

so if i can help you, feel free to ask me. if i can, i will.

kj

Jessie said...

thanks for the offer kj! i'll take you up on that if need be. :)

and thank you, everyone, for your well wishes! i've made a list of my first choices and am setting out tomorrow to try my luck!

Andrew McAllister said...

Hi again Jessie,
Thanks so much for dropping by "To Love, Honor and Dismay" and for leaving such a nice comment.

All the best!
Andrew

Endment said...

you bring a grin to my face and to my mind ---
Hoping that your fortune cookie has it right:)

Kristine said...

I sometimes like that domesticated , takin' care of my man feeling too. It's hard to admit sometimes, especially when people don't expect that one can proclaim to be an independent woman and also like such things... Goes to show how multifacted we can be.