Thursday, March 23, 2006

off-schedule

I took that nap...and it swallowed me. The next thing I knew, V. came in the bedroom saying: "It's 7:00. When do you want to eat supper?" Good god, what happened?! I deliriously got up, got dressed, put on my jacket, my shoes, and headed out the door for Chinese buffet with my hungry husband. I was still half asleep as I piled stir-fry and wontons on my plate. At the end of the meal, my fortune cookie said something horrible like, "Hope for the best, but expect the worst." Luckily, Vinny's said something about saving the day--and I'm banking on that.

I have been exhausted often lately. It seems I'm still "recovering" from the Ugly Monster Illness. But, unfortunately, I think today it was accentuated by a student who has started making a habit out of causing considerable drama in my days. He is, what I would call, an expert crazymaker. My students mean a lot to me and I like to think that I have good rapport with them. Actually, as a teacher, I think it's one of the strengths I value the most. But I have one particular student who is doing a fabulous job of draining my energy--completely.

I'm still waiting for Mark to come out with that book on teaching. And when he does...I hope there's a chapter on dealing with situations like these.

In the meantime I think I need to learn how to say enough is enough. And although these words have had no effect on the student, I guess, at this point, I need to learn how to say it to myself. I'm done thinking about this. Enough is enough.

It's time to write.

2 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

I so want to take that title for myself...I'm a professional crazy maker.

I create much drama. My picture is probably under "Drama" in Wikipedia.

In my defence, a lot of weirdo things just happen to me too.


I am also a drain on a lot of people, but I'm also bipolar...may be what is goin' on with your student.

Tell him to write ferociously in a blog-it seems to help.

:D

nrlaumei said...

So you were awake at this time -- we wanted to call and ask if we could watch our neighbors from V's window. :)