Wednesday, March 01, 2006

because i'm sick of looking at my ugly mug (& you probably are too)...here's a photo of georgia o'keefe instead

On realism in art, Georgia O'keefe says: "Nothing is less real than realism. Details are confusing. It is only by selection, by elimination, by emphasis, that we get at the real meaning of things. "
The image “http://graphitefurnace.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/georgia_okeefe.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Georgia O'keefe is one of those larger-than-life artists that I hadn't really cared about until a few months ago when I started working on a series of abstract landscapes. I checked out a book on her from the library because I was looking for new ways to combine colors. The book weighed a good 20+ pounds and was only the first half of a 2 volume set. I guess I wasn't attracted to her before because she was TOO popular, to the point of trendy. But then I got interested in her lesser known work and sketches. Turns out, she's one helluva woman. I mean, look at her--


By the way, this is the road to her house:

http://graphitefurnace.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/winterrd1963_2.jpg

If she were still alive, I think I'd go visit.

images from: http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/1345370

2 comments:

v said...

Hey, that looks like the road to Becida.

tara dawn said...

I used to feel the same way about Georgia O'Keefe...that her art was too trendy for my taste. Then I went to the Georgia O'Keefe museum in Santa Fe, NM last year and fell in love with some of her less popular pieces. She truly is a beautiful artist.
And thanks so much for your kind comments. You are an inspiration to me, J.
Lots of love,
TD