Monday, November 15, 2004

Venezuela...

Just a word that strikes my fancy today. When I say that word I imagine golden browns, raw umber, burnished orange, glowing yellows. I would be drinking a glass of wine, or maybe straight from the bottle. Venezuela-- I wipe my lips with my shirt sleeve as I set the bottle down and an old wooden table and continue painting the jungle outside my window. Are there jungles in Venezuela? Goes to show how much I know.

Last night I watched Basquiat-- a film about the Haitian-American graffiti artist. When I went to sleep I dreamed that I was in my studio hunched over my workbench making miniature Basquiat paintings. Thick layers of silver, grey, pink, with a window of white-- ink drawings of people--crude viniettes. After watching the film for the ump-teenth time I realized something about my own art-- how confined it is. I am inspired to experiment. I keep telling my students to "loosen up the reigns" in their writing. I think I need to take the same advise in my painting. Take the next step. Give up control. See where the color takes me.



No comments: