Friday, November 19, 2004

Preparing to settle in...

The first day of snow. Today is my favorite day. Although this year I will have two... because really, the best day of the year is when I wake up in the morning, look out the cold windows and see snow on the ground. Maybe tomorrow? It would be a good start to almost a whole week off. "Off" meaning time to finally focus on my rhetorical theory paper and presentation.

I spent the evening cleaning.... getting rid of all the dust that has settled in my space and mind. This is my ritual before writing. Unfortunately it hasn't happened in a long time. I even spent a good hour or two ironing clothes. Ironing! Yes, I can hear the response now-- "what the hell were you ironing for?" Yes, well it's new to me. And to be honest, I can't say as I like doing it. Life in the world of professionalism does not come naturally to me. Flannels and cargo pants don't need ironing... and that is what I will be wearing for the next 9 days. Well, that or my pajamas.

I'm actually looking forward to writing about the "teacherless classroom." The whole idea intrigued me from the moment I picked up the book by Peter Elbow. Authority bothers me. I think maybe it always has. And as a teacher, I don't want to take on the role. That doesn't mean that I don't expect respect-- but it's a two-way street. I think it's safe to say that my students respect me more when I respect them-- as human beings. We are equal. I have something to teach them-- but in reality, I am amazed by how much they teach me.

More on that later....
but my plans for the week:
read, read, read
write, think, write, write, think, write
take long bubble baths
drink good coffee-- careful not to drink too much
play with the dogs
take naps
paint
maybe even write a few letters.

Oh bliss.
It's been a long, hard semester. I'm thankful for this break.

No comments: