Thursday, February 26, 2009

Divine Inspiration...

Lou-theSingingDogModDog
"Lou, the Singing Dog"
30"x40"
Oil on Canvas


I've been meaning to post a photo of some of the work that I've been swallowed by. For now, I offer you "Lou, the Singing Dog." It's different and perhaps better than anything I've ever painted before. I've finished 4 more large paintings since this one and will complete a 5th (and perhaps a 6th!) today. I try not to think about how much more I have to do. I've never had to sustain a feeling of "staying in the moment" for such a long period of time. I'll tell you, it is a discipline. Preparing for this show feels strangely spiritual. I have always felt deep emotions when I paint dogs, but this is different. This is something that exists beyond me. It's not about me, it's not even exactly about the dogs I'm painting. It's about how we experience the world. It's about being alive to the smallest moments, those nanoseconds that contain something of the entire universe.

MorganModDog
"First Month"
20"x48"
Oil on Canvas


This particular time in my life feels immensely strange to me. Strange, that is, in a (generally) good way. Difficult too, but good. Maybe it is the long hours that I've been putting in, day after day, but this work feels a bit out-of-body.


Last night I also applied to two major art fairs. And right now I need to make a pot of coffee and head back down into the studio. I'm working on another big one. There are so many large paintings! I can't complain though. Painting big is what I love best.


I'm sending love to you, my blogging sisters. Although I'm unable to blog much right now, I am thinking about you with my whole heart!

with love,
jessie

~

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. that first painting is amazing Jess.
I've been meaning to send you a 'hello' email, just because.
Sending you hugs and happy painting vibes. xo

Unknown said...

Ok - I haven't even read the what you wrote but I think my response says it all. One glimpse and I just said really loudly - OOooh that's cool!
OK, now I'm going to read what you wrote. I think you are the coolest ever!

P.S. I also see your work progressing in brilliant, might ways!

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

Amazing work Jess. You work is beautiful and inspired! OMG!!

Anonymous said...

Both paintings are outstanding Jess. I know you'll be a huge success!

Olivia said...

Love your work, Jessie. Just love it. Keep it up, O

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

I was just thinkin' 'bout you this morning, hopin' you were doin' well ... and these paintings shout it out that you are doing amazingly well!!! Awesome...

Rowena said...

journey on, my sister.

I know what you mean about this almost spiritual component to working this hard (and I'm going to count myself in this journey with you, although my art is smaller and my kids are much bigger in my life.)

It's like some sort of marathon. I think you're reaching that sweet spot.

Gorgeous work.

Anonymous said...

Lou the singing dog....that is without a doubt your best work i have seen....as soon as I saw it, it was the first thought in my head...there is something special about that work really special. The composition is outstanding and the painting masterful...I really really love this one. I love them all, but this one is exquisite.
Much painting energy to you
Love sm

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Your Lou is so ALIVE!

Sharon P Pope said...

WOW, Jessie! These are great. I can just hear Lou singing and the picture of the new baby and the pug is just heartwarming. Thanks so much for showing us. Your hard work is paying off in multiple ways. Hugs. :)

Michelle said...

WOW - I know this has been said in other comments, but I had to add my own!
Your paintings are AMAZING. Thanks for posting, I've missed you. I was thinking of offering to do a guest post for you... HAHA!

Love, hugs, and warm wishes headed your way!
Enjoy living in the moment, there is no better place to be!
~michelle~

Deirdre said...

These paintings are great! Lou the singing dog just about steals my heart.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these!!

Anonymous said...

Jessie, these paintings rock! I love Lou the singing dog. I can just hear him howling away with the harmonica. You are on fire! Keep on painting away. I can't wait to see everything you put together for your upcoming show.

lisa :: the red thread said...

Thanks for the update, I've been wondering how you've been getting on. Lou is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing; they just keep getting better.

Jeppe

Sharon said...

I see you have another 'Sharon'!

The paintings are absolutely wonderful. Your talent is expanding, growing, as your confidence grows!

Lance said...

These are incredible paintings - thanks so much for sharing them here!

Laura B. said...

Absolutely amazing paintings, Jessie!!

daringtowrite said...

Oh Jess, I love these. "Lou, the Singing Dog" stopped me in my tracks and "First Month" is still lingering with me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessie,
This is my first time to here.Woow....U r amazing.I really really love that first one.And need to say your dogs are great( even better than real ones :) )I can clearly see the vividness in their eyes.
Good Luck with your great work..
Aaah.. my mom too love them.