Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Wrapped in a blanket of winter...

Woke up at 5 am this morning to a surreal world of darkness and snow. I decided that I am going to enjoy teaching early, getting up when it still feels like night. When I went outside I was overcome by the sheer silence of snowflakes falling softly from a heavy sky. I felt my feet on the ground, the snow on my face. The darkness of winter felt good. A perfect place from which to emerge for a new semester.

I got to school early and it was so quiet. Snow with no foot prints, I felt each deliberate step. Lights still not turned on in the buildings, I began to wonder if school had been canceled. No, eventually the rest of the world came alive. Eventually the sun reluctantly turned the sky from black to shades of pink and grey.

A surreal day. Ending with a fever. What luck... to get sick at the beginning of it all. But I've got my tea close at hand, the bed calling my name.

So much more I wanted to write about, but not the energy to do so.

No comments: